BREEDERS CUP FRIDAY -- Churchill Downs
November 2, 2018
Race Six (Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf)
POST TIME 4pm ET
(6) NEWSPAPEROFRECORD is going to be a single on many people's exotic tickets this afternoon, and for good reason. Irish-bred filly has been outstanding in two career starts , hails from winning connections and should make short work of this field if she repeats either of her first two outings.
Use her on top of (1) Concrete Rose, (5) La Pelosa, (9) Varenka and (10) Pakhet.
Race Seven (Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies)
POST TIME 4:40pm ET
(10) BELLAFINA will be making her first start outside of the cozy confines of southern California, but she will require some catching this afternoon under Flavien Prat. She's a winner in each of her last three starts, will be forwardly placed throughout and the outside post doesn't bother me too much so long as she gets to save some ground around that sweeping first turn. (4) RESTLESS RIDER is a perfect two-for-two at Churchill Downs and will be aided greatly if the pace comes up hot.
Those two appear to head the class above (2) Serengeti Empress and (8) Sippican Harbor.
Race Eight (Breeders Cup Juvenile Turf)
POST TIME 5:22pm ET
(3) MUCH BETTER tried turf and a route of ground last time out, in only the second start of his career, giving away some recency and experience when finishing second in the Zuma Beach Stakes last time out. The Bob Baffert trainee was well clear of the rest of the field passing the wire and can work some measure of revenge in this spot. (12) CURRENT rallied for a dramatic win last out at Keeneland in the Grade 3 Bourbon Stakes and may be the one to fear down the stretch. The expected pace of this contest won't be much different today. (11) KING OF SPEED will need to work out some kind of trip from his post position. He doesn't have much speed, but has never been worse than third in his four turf starts. (14) ANTHONY VAN DYCK comes into his U.S. debut highly regarded, but wasn't helped by the post position draw. A three-time winner overseas, he exudes class based on his pedigree, but will need to overcome quite a bit in this wide open spot.
Race Nine (Breeders Cup Juvenile)
POST TIME 6:05pm ET
(9) GAME WINNER will take a ton of action based on a number of factors. His unbeaten record won't hurt, nor will the connections, and he appears to be the most tractable horse in the bunch. The son of Candy Ride will be prominent throughout and could be one of the shortest priced winners on the day. (8) STANDARD DEVIATION is an intriguing possibility. He had no chance last time out after a wide trip at Keeneland. He's better than that race would indicate and requires some attention. (6) COMPLEXITY will be trying two turns for the first time. The Chad Brown trainee has been sensational in two starts in New York and may be sent along from his midpack post. (11) CODE OF HONOR got off to a terrible start in the Champagne Stakes, yet ran on nicely to finish a clear and well-meant second.
Race Ten (Marathon)
POST TIME 6:43pm ET
(2) DABSTER gets the slight edge here based on his current form and the company he's kept in his most recent races. (9) TOAST OF NEW YORK will be forwardly placed throughout and has an impressive series of races in his past. He's worthy of consideration in this spot. (6) WAR STORY owns a win over the course and comes from solid connections. (8) HONORABLE DUTY is an honest trier who boasts a winning record over this course and could come running down some of these in deep stretch.